ANTON PAVLENKO LANDSCAPE OIL PAINTER

REACHING

When I bent down to pick up the pieces of my life,

I shoved my hands into the black soot of death and

reached through the bitter haze of unspent emotions,

to find fragments of me, inert, motionless and suffocating.

When I bent down to pick up the pieces of my mind,

I found a tiny girl child, wrapped like a mummy

in wordless memories weightier than her

tiny shoulders could carry. Though carry she did.

When I bent down to pick up the pieces of my soul,

I found an embryo who bargained with the devil,

who gave up choice in order to live, an uneven exchange

that lasted nearly a lifetime. She kept her promise.

When I bent down to pick up the pieces of my will,

I found a stomping mad two-year old who knew

her own mind, and suffered the consequences

for the knowledge. She stomped anyway when she could.

When I bent down to pick up the pieces of my heart,

I found an innocent, carefree child with

a passionate love for all things seen and,

a deep reverence for that is unseen.

When I bent down to pick up the pieces of my body,

I found a source of energy and flow

that I never knew existed, for it had been

traded at birth…or before.

When I bent down to pick up the pieces of my spirit,

I found light and power, guidance and vision,

angels and guides  a thread through my life

never to be broken.

When I bent down to pick up the pieces of my life,

I put down the yoke of fear, set aside the sorrow,

and abandoned the dark rivulets of despair.

I cancelled the bargain with the devil.

Now, I no longer bend down. I reach up instead.

Outstretched arms, fingers pointing toward the sky.

I stand anchored, connected, grounded in the earth,

heart wide open, assembled.

All the important pieces collected.

REACHING
Tagged on:

13 thoughts on “REACHING

• September 23, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Beautifully written words. Thank you.

• September 24, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Dorothy, I loved this poem. I’m not usually a fan of poetry, but this was lovely, and poignant. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• September 25, 2014 at 2:43 pm

This poem is one I will always keep as it expresses my unexpressed so beautifully! I have often felt the being bent and the journey being that of reaching I struggle with words and always look forward to reading yours.
    I offended wondered what I would want read at my end time celebration…this is it.
    Thank you so much for all your sharing your heart!

• September 25, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I am deeply touched by your words, Marcia. Sharing my heart helps me heal and when it helps another it is always an unexpected blessing for which I feel a very deep gratitude…a gratitude for the completed circle…and for being a part of something so much bigger than myself. Sending you love, Dorothy

• September 26, 2014 at 1:01 am

Dorothy – my first response after reading was a deep exhalation and sigh! What a lovely poem holding not only your truth but so many of ours. The key is the shift – the knowledge and acceptance that it is time to reach up instead of down – then marvelous things happen! Thank you for the reminder and for sharing your gift!

• November 11, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Loved this poem! I thought I knew how to express myself in poetry until reading your poem:) And thanks for liking my blog post.

Blessings,